Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I am Catholic. Actually I'm a convert. I was raised Southern Baptist.

My family attended church pretty regularly until I was in about 6th grade. During middle school and high school our attendance was very sporadic. When I was in high school, I became intrigued with the Catholic Church. I have an uncle who is Catholic (married into the family) and friends that were Catholic and I just wanted to know more. I had a feeling that as an adult I would become Catholic but no experiences to really justify that feeling. In college, I had a roommate that was Catholic and I went with her to mass and I was amazed. I felt the presence of God, like I never had. Then I met and fell in love with a Catholic boy. Early in our courtship we started going to Church (the Catholic church). We discussed our religions and what would happen should we end up married. I told him right then and there I wanted to attend a Catholic church and agreed that we would raise our children to be Catholic. I hadn't quite commited to converting. Shortly after we were married I started the RCIA process.

Lent is one of my favorite times of year. I will admit, that I have failed in past years to identify a true sacrifice or incorporate any activity that would grow my relationship with God. Trying hard this year to incorporate some changes, so here is my list:



**No Diet Pepsi - Some people may think this is not a sacrifice, but people you don't know me. I love my Diet Pepsi...the thought of not having it kind of makes me nauseous.

**Work out 5 times a week - I was doing this before the miscarriage, but I've had a hard time getting on track. Working out is great not only for what it does for me physically, but how it empowers me mentally.

**Incorporate family activity focusing on this season. So I haven't quite figured this one out, but I'm thinking along the lines of attending Stations of the Cross or saying the rosary as a family or family prayer time.


May you experience Blessings and growth this Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment