Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Break

Grab some coffee…you are about to read a book about our little road trip or you can just skip this blog post.  :)              

The boys were on spring break last week so we decided to partake in a little road trip.  We headed to OKC to watch a OKC thunders game.  We got to OKC got checked into our hotel and walked to the arena to watch the game.  I will be honest that I am not a NBA fan.  My boys don’t necessarily watch a lot of NBA but as much as we know and spend time watching college basketball, it naturally lends itself that my boys would be interested in NBA.  Also it doesn’t hurt that they’ve spent some time playing NBA 2K whatever on the good ol XBOX.  We all had a blast at the game.  Let me tell you it felt like I was at a show.  Music and what not playing the entire length of the game, a sold out crowd.  I sat next to an older gentleman who basically told me his life story in a nutshell.  He was born during the war and was adopted by an older couple who lived on a farm in a small town Oklahoma.  He was the star athlete at his high school and still holds many of the records.  He played baseball at OSU where he met his wife, no kids, holds season tickets to OU and OSU athletic events as well as the Thunder  and really I could go on (like what his favorite restaurants are).  I love meeting people from the older generation that are so giving of their stories.  This man exuded pure joy...i need to work on that in my own life.

001

015 copy

Thursday morning we headed out to the botanical gardens just a block or two from our hotel.  This was really more like a tropical garden.  Just to walk in the heat and see the beautiful color so life giving.  They had a neat playground outside of the museum that both boys enjoyed. 

095 copy 039 042 066 074 copy 090 copy

We headed to Bricktown where we took a look at the facilities where Houston Astros double A team plays.  Had lunch at this little joint then headed to Norman, OK.

Our intent was to check out the OU campus.  Needless to say we did a drive by and due to lack of interest by all parties we decided to head towards Arkansas and Mac assured us that OU was no longer on his list of potential colleges.  Really…i had no idea that it was ever on his list.   I can’t really explain it. but it felt like Salina, KS.  Other than having a huge football stadium it was just kind of ehh.

On our way to Arkansas we stopped at the Citizen Potawatomie Nation Cultural Center in Shawnee.   Charlie is obsessed with Indians.  He has loved the Little House series and asks tons of questions about Indians.  The museum was so nicely put together and we all enjoyed it. 

And finally we made it to Arkansas.  This guy wanted to run up the drive…

112 copy

While we were in Arkansas we took part in good food (as always), rest and relaxation (I finished 3 books) and lots of outdoor play (hiking and four wheelers.)  Ken’s nephew brought this little toy…Um.  so much fun!  It took every ounce of bravery I have to get on this thing and to let my kids on it, and it was an AWESOME ride.  This beast can go on land and water. At one point I looked down and the speedometersaid we were going ~ 50 mph. 

 IMAG1154

And well that pretty much sums up our little adventure. We had such a great time just being with each other.  I.m so thankful that we were able to get away for a couple of days and just be.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stevie. Looks like a fun relaxing Spring Break. I'm taking my girls on a roadtrip to Charleston to meet a blog reader for the first time. Not sure how relaxing that will be, but we are always up for an adventure. Thanks for reading along with me. I loved hearing from you. Don't be a stranger:)

    ReplyDelete